You'll go bananas over this simple, economical smoothie hack! Adding frozen bananas to your smoothie is an easy way to turn any smoothie into a cool, creamy treat perfect for hot summer days. No more using ice cubes that just water everything down-yuck! These frozen chunks won't stick together in the freezer and are the perfect size for blending easily.
Freezing bananas is a great way to rescue spotted, overripe bananas that are destined for the trash heap. I think we can all agree that wasting food is pretty much the worst! We go through bananas pretty quickly so I'll plan ahead to have extra on hand when I know our freezer stash is running low. Buy your bananas in bulk when they go on sale and let them ripen or look for the discounted bananas at the grocery store that are already ripe and almost ready to freeze.
1. Start with spotted, brown bananas. Overripe bananas have more flavor!
2. Line a cookie sheet with wax or parchment paper. This makes for easy release from the pan!
3. Peel bananas. Cut into chunks roughly 2 inches in size. Smaller chunks will be easier for your blender to handle!
4. Place chunks onto your lined cookie sheet in a single layer. Avoid letting the chunks touch so they don't freeze together!
5. Put the sheet into the freezer for about 2 hours or until frozen.
6. Remove from lined sheet and place in freezer bags or freezer safe containers.
I like to use quart bags labeled with the date. You could also use smaller bags for individual serving sizes that will be quick and easy when you're in a rush to make your morning smoothie!
The frozen bananas will be good for up to 6 months but you'll likely never need to find out! We go through ours in no time and I think you will too!
What is your favorite smoothie tip or recipe? Let me know in the comments!
Hi! I'm Erica, a fitness and healthy food loving wife and mother of three here to inspire you on your wellness journey!